Old April 10th 04, 07:24 PM
Lee Carkenord

That's quite understandable, given that the original Lattin designed used
tubular Twin Lead and countd on a velocity factor of 0.8.

Yes...we were aware of the differences in velocity factor. And now I
have dug up more notes from those experiments. I had forgotten about
a _THIRD_ atempt!! We also tried using heavy 2-conductor speaker
wire as trap/radiator material. This was also a sturdy design,
mechanically. And again, we took into account the different v.
factor.

But it didn't produce the antenna we had hoped for.

What sort of test gear and design methods did you folks use?

Pretty fundamental test equipment. The ordinary items that are in
just about all shacks. We did have a good SWR meter.......a Siltronix
FS-310. We also had a good grid dipper, the military AN-PRM/10 unit.
There was also a Palomar Noise bridge in my possession during that
era, but I don't see anything in my notes that indicate that we used
it in our Lattin experiments.

We cut it longer, and we cut it shorter. We diddled with the traps
_IN_ the circuit, and we diddled with 'em removed from the circuit.
We used up a lot of wire, and a lot of notebook paper.

This was back in 1990 and 91. I still wonder what we would have
accomplished if we had owned an Antenna Analyzer? And what if 1 or
more of our trio was fleunt in antenna computer modelling? Would we
have "cracked the nut"......or would we have just wasted more wire,
paper, and time? We never once felt that we were close to getting a
good multiband antenna. We sure tried, though. It was kinda fun,
really........

Lee Carkenord KA0FPJ Denver CO