Old April 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
Jim Keil

Jess,

Do a Google search for CB radio. They have quite a few sites for beginners.
Try putting up an I-Max 2000 antenna if you can. They are cheap and can't
be beat for the price.

Jess LaFleur" wrote in message
Hello, my name is Jess LaFleur and I have been experimenting with CB radio
for the past few weeks now.

Ive owned a radio for a couple of years but I never got around to actually
using it until recently.

My little set up is as follows:

a firestik antenna with magnetmount (on a little red wagon on my roof)
a Radio Shack TRC-439 radio being powered by a computer powersupply
using stock microphone (I plan on buying a power-mic)

I have a range of about 10km during the day (I did this earlier today)

I have some questions and such though,

I am rarely able to pick up anyone but people in mexico, and my spanish

ends
at "Hola, como esta"
now, I'm not saying it's a problem, its sort of nice to be able to pick up
people so far away
(once I got someone from jamaica)

I rarely will get someone from the United States or Canada (where I live)

so
is this normal?
I know that signals can bounce of the ionosphere but its still odd that I
only get people in mexico.

and another question, on the RX/TX display there is 4 LED's now, should I
ever see any leds on
when I am only hearing static (no transmission) or should it be completely
blank.

And another question, how do I tune an antenna and how much do SWR meters
cost?

Im not entirely a newbie to radios, I do have an aeronautical radio

licence
from my days at the airport.

Thanks a bunch,

~Jesse