Old April 12th 04, 05:53 PM
Tom Bruhns

I think I see where you're going with that, Jerry...that's pretty
cool. In fact, I can imagine making the center out of tubing and the
outer ends out of rod, and having it so the rod can be unscrewed or
otherwise unfastened and pulled out, making a very compact (narrow)
package for storage. Would have to be careful to make the rod
attachment a reliably low resistance so the Q of the effective
inductance would stay high. If the coax stub part is filled with
dielectric (like Teflon) it would give more flexibility about the
lengths and impedances.

Cheers,
Tom

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message ...

I'm not sure of the lengths of your "dipole" elements . I'm going to
assume you have a 1/2 wave dipole antenna shortened to about 1/3 wavelength
overall. That would have two identical elements about 1/6th wavelength
each. If this understanding is correct, I could suggest a method of
including 200 ohms in series with each 1/2 of the dipole.

A 1/6th wavelength long piece of 120 ohm coax would look like a 200 ohm
inductor if it was shorted at its other end.
Perhaps I could describe a method of building an antenna by using two
pieces of 100 ohm coax. It would look much the same as a conventional
centerfed dipole but its total length would be shorter than the usual 1/2
wavelength. If you dont already have a picture of what I'd try to describe,
maybe I can write more. But, I want to consider the outside of the coaxial
stub to be the radiating surface.

Jerry