Old April 13th 04, 02:24 AM
Mike Coslo

Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:53:49 +0800, Dan Jacobson
wrote:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
got me thinking about all those long AC wires to the pumps on the
farm. When not in use they could instead be used as antennas, eh?
One would use a double knife switch of course to make sure AC would
supposedly never get to our transceiver.

Hi Dan,

As Dave says, "dangerous."

Instead, loop couple to the run and take what you can get.

Say, would water in long plastic pipes count as an antenna? I suppose
it would have to be rather impure water.

No. In spite of the supposed conductivity of salt water, it is not,
and fresh water even less (even if impure). You would do better
trying to load a coal seam.

I did see a website about a person making an antenna out of the very
substance. The link referes to a loop antenna now, but IIRC, this person
made a antenna out of water in a PVc pipe. It was mounted on his Jeep. A
40 meter antenna, I believe. Strange, very strange

The page which gave the old link was on the A6CV site:

http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#W

and ther it is. Sorry I can't be more specific, I am dealing from
memory, and was very amused at the time.

- Mike KB3EIA -