Old April 13th 04, 02:41 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

No troll, just a wild hair. I got to thinking of using mercury as the
conducting medium for an RF antenna switch and then wondered if mercury
could replace the upper part of a whip where there is low current and
high voltage. The mercury changing length in a thermometer triggered
these unthinkable thoughts. Imagine changing the current through a
resistor in order to tune an antenna by varying the mercury level.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Had the same wild hair once.

One problem is that changing the length through temperature requires a
thin column of mercury in a stiff container; probably not ideal for
an antenna.

I came up with a bunch of other practical issues that I'm sure will all get
posted here in time.

The best use of mercury in antennas is to go down to the creek and
gather gold with it. Sell the gold and buy an antenna.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.