Old April 13th 04, 03:03 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:47:52 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

When I was a dumb kid in the 50s we used to go into the garbage of those
hard of hearing and get their discarded hearing aid batteries to salvage the
mercury.

Hi Henry,

Another point of toxicity. Because the nuclear "Boomers" contained a
closed loop environmental system, ALL such batteries were banned from
the boat irrespective of their need in ANY equipment. We had to make
do with substitutes and jury rig our own holders or means to provide a
voltage for key equipment that would work fine on surface craft.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

The key here is "closed environment", which means crap accumulates.

A lot of things are banned on subs because it is easier to ban them than
it is to monitor them for for safe levels and then clean the whole damn
sub when a level gets too high.

None of this means you should get your panties in a wad because there is
a mercury wetted relay in the house.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.