Old May 17th 04, 04:18 AM
Steveo

"Randy" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Randy" wrote:
I drive a 9900 International. I am getting a loud whine in the CB
speaker, but not in the radio speakers, even though they share the
dual antennas. The whine increases and decreases with the rpms of the
motor. After disconnecting the coax from the CB transceiver the whine
is gone. Does this mean the coax or antennas are definitely the
problem? ... or are they just picking up on a problem with the
alternator? The coax will be extremely hard to replace, maybe
impossible since this is a company truck. The alternator would
probably be easier to repair.

Any help to eliminate or even reduce the whine would be greatly
appreciated.

Sounds like not enough ground on your antenna. How's your swr?

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

swr is ~ 3

I am just learning about CB radios. I know the antennas are using
plastic inserts to keep them from being grounded.
I am using Firestik II antennas and have not tried adjusting them yet.
I thought I needed to eliminate the whine first.
This International has a fiberglass top making for a bad ground plane,
from what I have been reading.

That is about all I know of my situation.

There's no stupid questions, Randy. The first thing to make sure of
is your antenna, it's just like any other electrical connection
and it has to be right. Good ground and swr and separation from
the body metal just for starters.

Some of that noise can be from the electric fuel pump on certain
vehicles. Get your swr down to 1.5 or less for starters.

You'll have to process of eliminate for any static after you know
your antenna is working properly. They do sell filters for some
of that noise, it goes on your hot lead.

Longer is better for antenna's..you can un-screw it without
getting out of the truck if you mirror mount it.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html