Old April 13th 04, 05:05 PM
Steve Nosko

"George" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yep, there is. I'm designing a very small hand-held antenna for direction
finding. The smaller the better. On paper so far I have shortened
"half-wave" dipole elements to 0.32 lambda and am giving up 1 dB of gain

in
the process, assuming the coils I mentioned in each side of the dipoles.

Now the question becomes, is it practical and buildable?...

George K6GW

Keep in mind, George, that it is generally the PHYSICAL antenna that
creates the pattern, so there can be degradation in directivity with
shortened elements. Depends on just what you are doing.
For a small Yagi, a 1 dB reduction in gain can mean considerable
widening of the lobe. If you are depending on a narrow lobe, this may
reduce the effectiveness. I carry a three element tape measure beam in my
trunk. It has a pretty wide main lobe as it is, but a null to the rear for
directivity... but I have a substantial 8" cardboard tube, mounted so I slip
it in and out easily... makes deployment a snap. Just watch the wind
direction.

P.S. I don't use any hose clamps..cheaper that way.