Old May 19th 04, 03:56 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Randy"
wrote:

snip
Well I have learned a tremendous amount about whine in a CB in the last
week. I stopped by a shop today to purchase a capacitor that I was going to
place on the alternator and the tech said he could fix the problem for
twenty dollars. I watched him open the unit, desolder a capacitor and
resolder a larger one in its place, he then shorted a couple of connections,
probably tweaking the unit. I figure he was doing the same thing I was going
to do but he did it inside the unit. I can just barely hear the whine ...
well worth twenty dollars.

He didn't fix the problem, he just covered it up for a fee. It would
cost you much less than twenty dollars to mount the radio properly,
which would eliminate the whine (as well as other noises that the
tech's 'fix' won't fix, as you will soon find out) -and- improve your
antenna's SWR.

I want to thank everyone for taking time to help me ... I did learn a lot
and I might put it to use when I have more time.

Better save these posts. You will need them in the future. You should
also do a radio check to see if your audio is clipping -- the tech's
'tweak' may have been to bypass your limiter, which will cause your
signal to splatter onto other channels.