Old May 26th 04, 11:54 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , Dave Hall
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:51 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , "AKC KennelMaster"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:57:29 GMT, "Bert Craig"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Riddle me this then Batman, why are there no type accepted LEGAL CB
radios produced with a roger beep or an echo?

Sorry Dave, my old Galaxy DX-949 came stock woith a roger beep...and
was/is
FCC type accepted.

http://www.galaxyradios.com/cb/949.html

Would you happen to to have the FCC I.D. number of that radio? That
radio, other than the roger beep, also has variable power, something
else no other legal CB has. I have my doubts that this radio is
entirely legal.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Wrong again, Dave. Here's the link: http://www.galaxyradios.com/2547.html

There are no current equipment authorizations for any Galaxy CB radio.
Search the database yourself if you want:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

Well, by golly, I goofed again. The FCC ID number is C2R-DX-2547, it's
a Ranger, and it is legal for CB. But what I didn't see on the Galaxy
website was a built-in roger-beep -- instead the board is available as
an accessory.

Galaxy and Ranger are basically one in the same. They are notorious
for "pushing the limit" as far as legality is concerned. I've never
liked Galaxy radios. They're basically knock-offs of Uniden designs,
many of which were not the most reliable.

"Fragile" is the word I have heard most often used to describe all
three makes.

What I don't understand is your last statement. Which Galaxy website
did you see the roger beep listed as an add-on accessory? The link
provided above lists the roger beep as a standard feature.

You are right, it's in the list. I just missed it the first time.

I'm perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm curious when
the FCC changed its opinion on roger beeps from their earlier
proclamation that they were considered "amusement" devices and
therefore not legal. This happened about 20-some years ago when roger
beeps first started springing up.

They might justify it's use under 95.412(b) "You may use your CB
station to transmit a tone signal only when the signal is used to make
contact or to continue communications." The reason might be that a
beep at the end of a transmission is useful to indicate when the
person is finished transmitting, and not to 'amuse or entertain'.

I'm also curious why they now allow variable power. Not since the
60's, when some radios had 100 mW low power positions, have I seen a
radio with user adjustable power (Other than walkie-talkies).

There have been CBs in the past that have had power switches. Some of
the handhelds have a low-power switch to save battery power. But the
variable-power feature on Galaxys/Rangers is obviously intended to
trim the power fed to an amplifier, and I'm sure that is one reason
why the FCC doesn't like them.

Common sense would tell me that if these things were clearly legal,
that the manufacturers would rush to include them en-masse as
"features". These all enhance the perceived value of a radio, and
gives the manufacturers a reason to charge more for things that cost
little to add at the factory. Most CBers are mesmerized by bells and
whistles, so this would clearly be a marketing plus.

Who makes CBs anymore besides Galaxy/Ranger and Uniden?