Old April 14th 04, 06:33 PM
zeno

Tnx to both Richard and Cecil et al, I think I am good to go. I will most
likely use the uninsulated wire for the diy ladder line. Although I do
not quite understand the thing about stubs and am not sure how I would be
able to measure anything along the ladder line since it is actually high
up in the air for the most part (I might be able to measure something at
its ends tho....what exactly does one need to be measuring up there?).
Sorry to be so Elmer-needy....

I just happen to have a bunch of that black poly 1/2" irrigation tubing,
which cuts up easily, and is apparently a good choice for diy ladder line
because of its UV tolerance.

There is no foil-backed insulation to worry about coming into the house
peak or ceiling. I have a bucket of those old porcelin knob&tube feed
thru dealies out in the barn.

I am making some masts out of whatever I can recycle, mostly old metal tv
telescoping masts. I will have to guy them if I get them up as high as I
possibly can for the four corners of the loop. I was thinking of using
pulleys and dacron for the guys, pulleys so I can redo the guys after
years...and they look like they are about to fall apart etc. without
having to take down the poles.....or should I use wire for guys? The
masts are metal anyway, maybe wire guys are ok, what do you think?

-Zeno (although I probably will be "Bill" when I finally get on the air
again)

They just gave me KG6UHM, but I think I either want my old expired call
back or concoct something new....with good cw rhythm....and "phonetics"
which reads like a novel......

Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:43:35 GMT, zeno wrote:
Should I just go with the 4" spacing because it looks cool?

Fer Sure, Dude!

The choice is simply one of maximizing copper to minimize loss. If
you expect a wide variation of Z through using the radiator across a
larger variation of frequency, it is hard to choose one single
determiner of line Z outside of this consideration. You could use the
same logic to select 50 Ohm line (there is absolutely nothing magical
about the value); however, cost becomes prohibitive due to a larger
conductor for the inside lead driving the size of everything else to
obtain the same loss figure as the cheaper, simple twin lead
construction.

So, there you have it, cool and cheap (true to only the frugal
Amateurs's perception of reality).

As for another question about coming in through the wall. You idea
would work suitably. The only problem is in having it penetrate house
insulation that is foil-backed (without you being aware of that being
so). Some would offer the penetration presents no problem as it is
for a very small interval. In the large scheme of things, quite true;
and yet as a site dislocality (humorously called a bump in Z) this is
where additional SWR will be present with a corresponding
magnification of V and the possibility of breakdown. This is
unlikely, but this would be where it happens if "likely" occurs. As
things go, it is all a probabilistic issue - the insurers have tables
for this.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC