Old April 15th 04, 08:25 PM
zeno

Doc,

Would this be a good reason to use solid core copper wire?

After tying one end of my ladder line to a short (PVC) pole at
the house roof peak (this is to keep it high and away from some
other lines), I need to carefully arch (arc) it around and into
the side of the house (or into a modified "window" that
ventillates the attic space up there. I might use a "stick" or
something to make sure the ladder line stays where I want it
here. The ladder line at this point has to go through a space
between a cable tv and a telephone line. If the ladder line is
kept in place, it will be 2-3 feet away from the other lines
which are perpendicular (and thus only in proximity at a one
point).

It is because of these other lines that I perhaps might have to
consider other alternatives, but I thought I would first try the
idea of running the ladder line all the way into the station in
the house. If there is a problem with interference, then I might
have to consider the system, I have seen mentioned, where you
run double coax lines into the house for the last section with
the shields tied together (anyone actually tried that, does that
work well, any problems, etc.?)

My point being that solid core wire is easier to "mold" into
shape. My only concern is that sometimes solid core could break
if there is a repetitive friction type bending stress along the
way (wind, or who knows).

Zeno

'Doc wrote:

Zeno,
"Swarming" means that because of the 'memory' of the wire
used to make the 'twin lead', when it's turned loose from
whatever you fixed it to to build it, it tries to assume it's
former shape. Usually results in a 'rat's nest' of wire in
a not so compact ball, LOL! Not really something to waste a
lot of worry on, just be aware that it can happen.
'Doc