Old June 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Steveo

Lancer wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:52:38 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

Thanks. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could make my own
antenna and see how well it worked. There are 2 reasons for the large
coil. In comparing a few antennas of roughly equal length, the ones with
large open coils tend to be more broad-banded. Larger materials also
have less resistive loss and more radiating are. The lower part doesn't
really have to be 1/2' copper pipe but it was the first thing I thought
of. I'm going with copper wire wrapped on pvc shortly.

Chris

Chris; Nice looking antenna, large open air coils are more efficient.
Some people see a large open air coil and think its all about power
handling capability. Are you planning on replacing the coil with pvc
wrapped with wire, or the lower section? If you want to beef up the
lower secton you might take a trip to a hamfest and pick up a lower
section of a Newtronics Hustler.

Hey Jay, what do you think about this antenna, and any news
on the 10K mobile yet?