Old June 16th 04, 05:40 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , Lancer
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:22:33 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , wrote:

Many times...........even tested them.

Sorry your tests results were debunked by Frank in the xterminator
thread, you are a voodoo tech

Frank never tested any of the antennas.

I just tested my 9' whip (mounted on the roo-guard of my Dodge). Tied
it back so the top was parallel with the ground (pointing East, if
that makes a difference). Measurements were compared to the antenna
straight up.......;

SWR didn't change at all, and vertically polarized field strength
dropped by a hair. However, horizontally polarized field strength made
a huge jump to the good. Subjectively, I listened to the toilet bowl
while pulling on the lanyard. Some weak signals disappeared while
others came in that weren't there before. Let the whip go back to
vertical and the old signals came back while the new signals were
lost.

Looks like it's a compromise situation.

Frank
Did you try it in Barney Phife mode? The start of this thread was
on car, it was suggested that you tie it down like a bow. Bows are
bent 180 degrees, so it would have to be tied down to the same level
as the base. I tried it and the minimum SWR point moved lower in
frequency.

I didn't pull it over 180 degrees. I don't even know if it will bend
like that without taking off the spring. But it seems like if it goes
over 180 the top capacitance to ground would increase, as well as the
inductive reactance due to the bend, which might explain the drop in
frequency. IOW, it might result in a crude form of linear-loading.

Modeling it showed that the take off angle also increased. Maybe
causing the effect you were seeing.

Possible. But with a 90 degree bend it seems more likely that it was
just a polarity issue. I wouldn't even begin to guess how the polarity
would be affected in a 'Barney bend'.