Old June 16th 04, 09:20 PM
iamnotiamnotgeorge2004

In , Lancer
wrote:

snip
Steve;
I didn't play with it all that much to see which direction it
talked the best. Modeling, showed that the Max Horizontal field is
broadside to the antenna and Max vertical is more inline with the
direction that its bent. Does your news server carry
alt.binaries.pictures.radio? I put a jpeg of it there.
Red is The Hor field, Black is the Vert

I got the day off so I took the truck out in the field, did a
Barney-bend to the windshield-wiper, and did a 10 degree (36-point)
field-strength test. Your jpeg is pretty close to what I got, except:
I see sharper lobes; the measured horizontal was weaker relative to
the vertical (possibly due to a higher take-off angle -- FSM was about
200' downrange), and; forward has more gain than aft (not forgetting
that my mount is on the bow). While driving the truck in a circle for
the tests I noticed that some stations would null.

My guess is that the Barney-bend acts like a loop antenna with its
characteristic null, but because it is only a half-loop it has a
horizontal component.

We really should summon Jay for this discussion.