Old June 22nd 04, 12:07 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , wrote:

On 21 Jun 2004 13:14:57 -0700,
(I Am Not
George) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
snip
NOW do you see how this works?

Yes I do. You still don't understand that a 9' SS whip can be beat by
shorter antennas.

It can't. Not unless it is has multiple elements or it's made from a
superconductor. Also, check out Landshark's link.

It only can't be beat if you're stubborn enough to never test it
for yourself. You fit that description, therefore only one thing
can be said.

Get bent

Tnom exactly how much gain from the 4 ft vs the 9 ft are you claiming

I never claimed any numbers expressed in db. I only tested
specific antennas side by side to get a relative gain order.
One of the better antennas tested was (there are others)
the X-terminator. The X-terminator is a five foot antenna
that would barely outdo a 9 foot stainless steel whip. The
X-terminator would consistently show a higher reading on
different S meters.

All the Xterminator antennas are loaded 1/4-wave verticals. The fact
that the radiating element (whip) is smaller than a full-size 1/4-wave
vertical necessarily means that they are less efficient -- that's just
simple physics.

I should point out that the company also makes a model called the
MTM-1 which is a center-loaded mini using Litz wire in the loading
coil, totally ignoring the fact that Litz wire offers no advantage
when used at frequencies higher than a couple MHz. Also note that the
prices of these antennas have hit bargain-basement levels (even lower
than Radio Shack cheapies) reflecting the slumping demand for these
supposedly 'superior' products. People are finally learing that the
company has no clue regarding antenna design -- they cater to the
George Jetson types who respond to sci-fi aesthetics and internet
propaganda.

Further tests showed that if you replace the 9 foot stainless steel
whip with a 9 foot one inch silver pipe then the full length silver
pipe would beat all others tested. Including the X-terminator

I don't think anyone, including you, keeps a stock of 1" silver pipe
laying around just waiting to be cut and tuned for a CB antenna. But
oddly enough, I do. So after all your whining about me doing my own
tests, I'll repeat your test with the silver pipe. Now I'll need the
parameters of the test:

1. What was the final trim length/frequency of that pipe?
2. SWR?
3. Field strength relative to 9' SS and at what distance?
4. What was used for a FSM?
5. What was the vehicle used and the location of the antenna mount?
6. What was used to couple the pipe to the mount?