Old June 22nd 04, 04:08 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , wrote:

snip
Further tests showed that if you replace the 9 foot stainless steel
whip with a 9 foot one inch silver pipe then the full length silver
pipe would beat all others tested. Including the X-terminator

I don't think anyone, including you, keeps a stock of 1" silver pipe
laying around just waiting to be cut and tuned for a CB antenna. But
oddly enough, I do. So after all your whining about me doing my own
tests, I'll repeat your test with the silver pipe. Now I'll need the
parameters of the test:

1. What was the final trim length/frequency of that pipe?

I don't remember

.....uh huh. Why am I not suprised?

2. SWR?

I don't remember but the lengths were adjusted for best SWR.

Ok..... so how did you adjust it?

3. Field strength relative to 9' SS and at what distance?

3 s units for the SS whip............ 3.05 s units for the
X-terminator .......... 3.1 s units for the silver pipe.

It would be nice to try this with an X-terminator, except I'm not
going to waste my money. Is there anyone in Spokane with one of these
and is willing to let it be used for this test, as well as corroborate
the test results?

Multiple a/b comparisons to determine the gain order.

???????

A consistent gain order was evident.

"Evident" requires "evidence". Where is the data? Was it even
recorded?

The numerical values were obtained by averaging.

Averaging what? Did you get enough fluctuation between seperate
key-ups that the data required averaging? How many times was each
antenna keyed-up? Better yet, since you averaged the readings they
must have been recorded, so where is that data?

4. What was used for a FSM?

A Tentec radio

Tentec has made lots of radios with different signal-strength meter
circuits. I can't quantify (and therefore validate) your meager data
without knowing the model.

5. What was the vehicle used and the location of the antenna mount?

On the roof of a pickup. (quick disconnects)

Make & model? In case you haven't noticed, pickups come in different
lengths, and the length can have a significant influence on SWR. I may
not be able to obtain the same make and model, but I'm sure I can come
close (unless it's an old Datsun, Chevy Luv, Dodge D-50, or some other
kiddie-truck).

6. What was used to couple the pipe to the mount?

Hose clamp

...........ok, I'll bite: How do you use a hose clamp to mount 1" pipe
to a 3/8-24 stud?