Old July 6th 04, 06:30 PM
Chad Wahls

"Nicolai Carpathia" wrote in message
Don't those flatlands sometimes act just like the water (with the
"mirror" skip effect) and propagate those signals? I know the desert
certainly retains those characteristics at times.

One of the reasons I have a barefoot rig. It doesn't take much to get out
around here if you are into local stuff. And trust me it is FLAT!!!
Weather plays an important role as does (I believe) crops in the ground.
(seems better with the corn and beans up, maybe because they are mostly
water).

Agreed,,,,,long distant driving is much more palatable when the dx is
hopping.

I even turned the 'ol XM off a few times to listen to the rants

I haven't been to 19 in a while,,,,

I dual watch 19 as it's nice to know where the law is at and it's road
construction season here so sometimes you can hop off the I-state to avoid
delays. Comes in quite handy.

for us, this weekend was all
vhf action, with the exception of a rapid fire dx session on channel 6
for about four minutes late Saturday afternoon. 26.285 USB was kicking
up some good dx activity early Sunday morning.
3s

I just bought a log home out in the country in the middle of 3.5 acres of
flatland. I will start playing with sidebands then! Any base radio
reccommendations? Antenna's? I'm not gonna push mega power off the bat and
it has to be easy for the wife to use when I'm out on the grounds, etc. I
was kind of looking at the Cherokee CBS-1000, good/bad?

Chad