Old July 7th 04, 05:15 PM
Nicolai Carpathia

From: =A0=A0 "Chad Wahls" Don't those flatlands
sometimes act just like the water (with the "mirror" skip effect) and
propagate those signals? I know the desert certainly retains those
characteristics at times.

One of the reasons I have a barefoot rig. It

doesn't take much to get out around here if

you are into local stuff. And trust me it is

FLAT!!! Weather plays an important role as

does (I believe) crops in the ground. (seems

better with the corn and beans up, maybe

because they are mostly water).

Agreed,,,,,long distant driving is much more palatable when the dx is
hopping.

I even turned the 'ol XM off a few times to

listen to the rants

I haven't been to 19 in a while,,,,

I dual watch 19 as it's nice to know where the

law is at and it's road construction season

here so sometimes you can hop off the I-state

to avoid delays. Comes in quite handy.

No doubt.
_
for us, this weekend was all
vhf action, with the exception of a rapid fire dx session on channel 6
for about four minutes late Saturday afternoon. 26.285 USB was kicking
up some good dx activity early Sunday morning. 3s

I just bought a log home out in the country in

the middle of 3.5 acres of flatland.

Lucky you,,,,right on!

I will start playing with sidebands then! Any

base radio reccommendations?

For strictly cb, that new FCC approved Galaxy rig is pretty strong.

Antenna's?

I like metal opposed to fiberglass. The higher the better. Of course,
for practicality you can go with a fiberglass stick like an Antron and
stick it way high in tree, if possible.

I'm not gonna push mega power off the bat

and it has to be easy for the wife to use when

I'm out on the grounds, etc. I was kind of

looking at the Cherokee CBS-1000,

good/bad?

Chad

Can be confusing for the wife to operate if she's not into radio, unless
she don't have to mess with any of the dials or buttons. The CBS isn't
the heartiest of radios,,.not recommended for peaking (heat sink is too
small) but conversion is fine. I'd get a Washington or new Galaxy for
strictly cb and if you're not a hammie and want expanded capacity, I'd
look at an export. It's very cost effective.