Old July 8th 04, 03:28 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Chad=A0Wahls)
"Nicolai Carpathia" wrote in message
I just bought a log home out in the country in
the middle of 3.5 acres of flatland.

Lucky you,,,,right on!

Right place, Right time. It's pretty cool, just what I wanted.
I will start playing with sidebands then! Any
base radio reccommendations?

For strictly cb, that new FCC approved Galaxy rig is pretty strong.

And sexy! Can the channels be opened up easily like on the CBS1000? As
opposed to buying the export. If it's that new there may not be as much
tech info on it yet, time will tell.
Antenna's?

I like metal opposed to fiberglass. The higher the better. Of course,
for practicality you can go with a fiberglass stick like an Antron and
stick it way high in tree, if possible.

Lots of trees! and the house is tall and on a hill. Height shouldn't be
a problem, Lightning on the other hand.......

Can be confusing for the wife to operate if she's not into radio, unless
she don't have to mess with any of the dials or buttons.

She's pretty technically savy, I got lucky there
too! I guess I was looking to say non intimidating rather than easy.

The CBS isn't
the heartiest of radios,,.not recommended for peaking (heat sink is too
small) but conversion is fine.

Could always re sink it or even upgrade the pill, I like the ease of
modification

I'd get a Washington or new Galaxy for
strictly cb and if you're not a hammie and want expanded capacity, I'd
look at an export. It's very cost effective.

Will do! Thank you for your time, I appreciate it. I've been into mobile
and hven't looked into home rigs.
Best
Chad
_
Hey Chad! Let us know what radio you go with. Yea,,you can always add a
larger heat sink or a small fan,,,with some tinkering, the CBS can be a
screamer,...I agree,,the ease of conversion on this radio is simple,
plus it covers a full 400 AM "channels". There is knock-off of this
radio out there and it's called an "Eagle" (I believe) and it goes one
better than the CBS,,it has FM where the CBS has its weather band. Same
exact radio, different name on face plate.
Not sure about the Galaxy on the conversion, as I don't own one of
those newer models (although I did play around with one).