Old April 17th 04, 07:35 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:14:58 GMT, zeno wrote:
I am getting ready to put up my masts (5 of them) for a 160m
full wave loop. For the most part I am using recycled
telescoping tv masts which will be up around 50+ feet.

Hi Bill,

You are on the threshold of being able to do much more for slightly
more effort.

Let's suppose you use wire with insulators to break them up (generally
only advised as a must below tower mounted beams so that opportunistic
resonances don't mess up directionality and tune).

Further, let's suppose all wires at the top have a good metal
connection to the mast.

Further, let's suppose each of these wires is broken such that the
first insulator(s) is more than 25 or 30 feet above ground (straight
down, I am not measuring along the wire).

Nothing else matters beyond what you would then do for general
construction.

I presume that all masts are driven into the ground (or at least are
not insulated from ground); and that at each mast you could build a
radial ground screen of eight to a dozen wires as broad as those first
set of insulators are out from the mast (probably 20 to 30 feet each).

You then have the opportunity of developing four broadband vertical
antennas (each with a gamma feed because of the grounded situation).
There's a good chance they would operate on 80M without too much
effort (you might push them to 160).

Most of the work is in the top connection, and the first set of
insulators - beyond that no commitments are needed if you simply
decide to walk away later. That is easy with little difference in the
up front effort.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC