Old August 9th 04, 04:07 PM
Chad Wahls

"Landshark" wrote in message
m...

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Ok. Here's the deal. It's time for an antenna on my 2001 Silverado.

It's
an extended cab 4x4 and if I put anything higher than a foot on my roof,
it's comin' off when I pull in the garage. So, I was thinking:-) What

if
someone took a center loaded antenna and mounted it to a swivel mount

that
was mounted to the bed, but in BETWEEN the bed and cab. When it was

rotated
180 degrees the mount would be about a foot lower than the cab...leaving

48"
of center loaded antenna above the roof. I could toggle the action

using
12vdc mechanism of some type. With the press of a button, the mount

would
rotate 180 degrees and point the antenna down, right between the cab and
bed. Thus, instant antenna clearance without exiting the cab.

I've been told that a decent quality center-loaded will always beat a

decent
quality base-loaded antenna of the same height.

Thoughts? Opinions?? No laughing please:-)

Thanks

Don

You could use a ball mount and then just take the
allen wrench and loosen it, swivel it down. Also you
can just use a quick disconnect, It's easy and works.
As for an electric swivel, seems like a lot of work, but
give it a try, let us know how it comes out.

Landshark

--
Treat people as if they were what
they ought to be and you will help

If you are going to do that then carry a letherman anf take it off I
have to sometimes park in a garage with a low clearance and bought one of
these :
http://www.walcottcb.com/catalog/pro...de3486abe2288d
I got tired of removing it. My antenna is in the rear corner of my bed on a
stake hole mount. I had a quick disconnect but someone other than me
disconnected it, now I can't seem to locate it

One thing I've never understood are people who mount the antenna right next
to the cab and use a 3-4' antenna. How does that affect the performance of
the antenna? how 'bout SWR? This is one of the reasons I went for a rear
mount. Even better than that are the sect of morons around here with big
ass dual 5' fiberglass antennas on a pickup truck. Even worse than that,
some don't have them hooked to anything (no radio) Hell, if you are going
to spend the money to look like you don't know what you are doing at least
buy a coupla 259's and a few feet of coax so it LOOKS like it's hooked to
something. sheesh.

Chad