Old August 15th 04, 01:54 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message

I never suggested that the N-type connector -wasn't- better. I will
agree that they are better. But I said that the UHF connectors work
fine, and for the OP's intended use they will probably work just as
well as an N-type connector. This discussion reminds me of some OC
audiophiles that think their 10-watt triode amps sound better with
gold-plated capacitor screws and #2 oxygen-free speaker wires. Nobody
is saying that such components aren't better, but at some point you
need to heed the law of diminishing returns.

Frank I agree with your comments about "losses" in the UHF style of
connectors. The problem is the impedance bump they cause. And this varies
depending on the dielectric used. If nothing else they should use Teflon
dielectric. If you look at some of the really "cheap" ones they use some
kind of penolic that really increases the impedance bump. Also if you look
at the high quality V/UHF antenna mounts and SWR-Power Meters, that use the
female UHF connector, you will notice the center pin is held in place by
several vanes between the ID of the outer shell to the OD of the center pin.
This is NOT a cost saving measure. If you calculate the impedance of that
connector assuming the dielectric is mostly air it works out to between 40
to 50 ohms minimizing the impedance bump. When you go to a manufacture's
site to get the data sheet for a high quality V/UHF connector they state
they are not "constant impedance".

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO