Old August 15th 04, 12:52 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:54:21 -0400, "Leland C. Scott"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .

I never suggested that the N-type connector -wasn't- better. I will
agree that they are better. But I said that the UHF connectors work
fine, and for the OP's intended use they will probably work just as
well as an N-type connector. This discussion reminds me of some OC
audiophiles that think their 10-watt triode amps sound better with
gold-plated capacitor screws and #2 oxygen-free speaker wires. Nobody
is saying that such components aren't better, but at some point you
need to heed the law of diminishing returns.

Frank I agree with your comments about "losses" in the UHF style of
connectors. The problem is the impedance bump......

Leland,

Measure it. If you actually find this impedance "bump", maybe you can
explain why impedance is so significant for these connectors while
impedance will "unnecessarily complicate things" for mag-mounts. Are
you saying that impedance is important for connectors but not for
antenna grounds? Why not fall back to your "pure capacitance" excuse
where UHF connectors are concerned?

Make up your mind, Leland. What's important -- impedance or 'pure
capacitance'?