Old August 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Brian Kelly

"Stuart" wrote in message ...
Antenna Group~

The squirrels here the my neighborhood have suddenly decided they like to
eat my coax and control cables. They seem to be particularly attracted to
the self-vulcanizing rubber used to seal the connections but they have eaten
some coax cables as well. Anyone know of a cure for this problem?

You can "protect" your coax & control cables with an autoloading 105mm
howitzer but for every one of the little beasts you terminate two more
take it's place within minutes. Killing and/or trapping them is simply
an exercise in futility. I see two choices: Squirrels have strong
alergic reactions to cats. Big nasty young female cats preferably from
feral stock. And don't feed 'em too much. There's one possibility.

The other is to use coax and control cables which have
rodent-repelling jackets and sealants which tree rats don't like. For
the coax see

http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm#buryflex

There are probably control cables with the same general type jackets.
Maybe tree rats don't like silicon sealants, I dunno. Check out

http://www.thewireman.com/products.html

No doubt both Steve at RF Davis and Pres at the Wireman have handled
the problem many times, give 'em a buzz, it's only phone calls, save
yourself from the goo and ammo expenses.

Thanks

Stuart, ki6qp

w3rv