Old January 18th 05, 01:38 PM
Dave Heil

Todd Daugherty wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Todd Daugherty wrote:

Content Control
I had recently started broadcasting my N9OGL Show on 28.555 MHz at 9.00

pm
CST. On my first broadcast I talked about content control in the amateur
radio service. Amateur Radio is on the eve of dying;

You've provided no evidence that amateur radio is dying.

Ham radio in about 10 to 15 years will be dead because technology and the
free flow of content will surpass amateur radio.

You've still provided no evidence that amateur radio is dying, Todd.

No matter what you might think that's a reality.

It does matter what I think. You've still provided no evidence to
support your claim.

Amateurs seem to believe that amateur radio should
be the idle dribble we call amateur radio.

For God's sake, Todd, the word is "drivel" and I don't see your
"broadcast" as being better stuff.

For amateur radio to grow
amateurs are going to have to change. Amateur radio has to look at the
future and not the short term future.

So the future is that we should all become micro-broadcasters on dead
bands?

The reason it's dying
isn't because the lack of amateurs in the service. No the reason it's

dying
is content control. Amateur radio is dying because amateur's are under

the
belief that the FCC can control the content of an amateur station.

No one from the FCC has stopped by to tell me that the content of my
amateur radio station is under investigation. Since I've come back to
the U.S., the content of my amateur radio station has been steadily
increasing. Even my XYL has given up on trying to control the content.

Not yet anyway.....but the FCC has gone after or discourage people for their
content in the past. ME, K1MAN, the Liberty Net just to name a few.

So, we're not discussing the content of an amateur radio station but of
the content of individuals? What do you, K1MAN and the Liberty Net
contain? Seriously, Todd, I think that if the FCC is going after you,
K1MAN and the Liberty Net, it is doing something right.

As a
matter of fact Mr. Hollingsworth of the FCC wanted me to let him know

when I
was going on the air so he QSL me. The QSL he's talking about is in the

form
of a warning letter, a C&D, NOV, or a NOF. Section 326 of the

Communication
Act of 1934 is a statue that prohibits the FCC from controlling the

content
of ANY radio stations. It also prohibits the FCC from creating rules and
regulations which would suppress free speech on the radio.

There are any number of things which can "control" your right to free
speech. There are regulatory things, like the fact that amateur radio
isn't a broadcast service and like the fact the Commission has obscenity
regs. You can't say things which will incite panic. Your civil right
to free speech becomes abridged where it infringes upon the rights of
another. You seemed to have missed those facts.

The FCC of course
under other rules and regulations can regulate obscene and indecent
material. Now there are many out there including the ARRL who believe

that
this rule doesn't apply to amateur radio.

Let me get this straight--You think that the ARRL believes the FCC has
no power to regulate obscene and indecent speech? You surely can't
believe that.

That was a misprint which I'm planning to fix.

It seems to be a misstatement shrouded in a misprint.

There are many in the ARRL
which believes that Free Speech doesn't apply to amateur radio.

Are you speaking of Directors? staffers? members? Who in the ARRL who
don't believe such?

Nor, the
statue that forbids the FCC from controlling content of ANY radio and
forbids the FCC from making any statue or regulation which supress speech
apply to amateur radio.

Todd, the word you are searching for is "statute", not "statue". I
don't believe that there is a statute forbidding the FCC to control
obscenity, indecency any other misuse of your amateur radio station.

It of course is not true, this
statue along with all the other sections of the Communication Act apply

in
one shape or another to amateur radio and the FCC.

Now you're saying that the FCC has oversight for regulating obscenity
and indency propagated BY the FCC? Where does the "statue" come into
play?

No, the point I was trying to make which like I said will be fixed on the
website. The point I was making is that there are some in the ARRL that
believe that certain statues don't apply to amateur radio but they in
reality they do.

"Statute", Todd and I disagree with you.

The problem is
the ARRL, their members and the FCC which tries to suppress or control

the
content.

So the ARRL and their running dog members are in collusion with the FCC
to control content?

Again the there are some in the ARRL that believes that the FCC can control
the content of amateur radio stations.

I'll assume that you mean the content of transmissions from an amateur
radio station. Those in the ARRL who believe that the FCC can control
the content of transmissions are correct.

So I'm broadcasting in an amateur band at night when it's not in
use. Big fricking deal at lease I using it.

I "using" it too. Truck drivers are sometimes using it too. Did you
realize that broadcasting is prohibited by radio amateurs whether it is
during the day or during the night. Did you realize that the 10m band
during solar maxima can be open all night to various parts of the
world? Did you know that there are propagation modes in which 10m can
open during the night over a distance even during periods of solar
minima?

First off my "broadcast" are programs directed towards the amateurs radio
community.

If they're "broadcasts", it doesn't matter.

10 meters with the solor maxima at it peak around here begins
closing down around 9 to 10 PM.

Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the band is open
round the clock. That really doesn't matter. You can't broadcast any
time.

I mean so what if broadcasting
information to the amateur radio community which may be a small value to

the
Amateurs.

If broadcasting by radio amateurs is illegal and of small value, why do
it?

Information bulletin are not illegal.

I didn't write anything about informational bulletins. I wrote
"broadcasting" which is a term you have used.

Any information no matter how
important to one person may be of small or little vaule to another person.

No kidding!

So what if I'm on there for a hour and half voice my opinion about
problems and issues in amateur radio.

The "so what" has already been addressed. Are you trying to get your
license yanked?

Again information bulletin are not illegal. The problem is the idea that the
public doesn't listen to amateur radio.

Not much of the public is listening to amateur radio. Almost no one is
listening to 10m when the band is closed.

So although Information bulletins
are directed towards the amateur radio community the public does listen.

And?

There is a gray line there.

There is?

At lease I have a opinion and I'm not
some drone of the ARRL who believes everything the ARRL says.

I'm a life member of the ARRL and I don't believe in everything done by
the ARRL. Then again, I don't broadcast my views on the ham bands. Do
you think the ARRL will do anything differently based upon your illegal
broadcasts?

Why won't you broadcast your view??

....because I'm not permitted to broadcast. I value my amateur license.

are you for content control??

Yes, most assuredly.

There is
one thing many amateur have to remember...Amateur radio is a hobby.

I think "many amateur" remember that.

Someone
who takes their hobby to serious has no real life.

....and someone who doesn't take his hobby seriously has no real hobby.
Many things have been done in a half-assed manner because the doer's
attitude is, "it's only a hobby".

W1AW is "broadcasting" so if I should stop so should they.

So, you equate the value of what you are doing to what W1AW is doing?

That's the
reason I'm broadcasting to voice my opinion's about issues in amateur

radio,
to let people hear what I'm thinking instead of that idle dribble we

call
ham radio.

That's the spirit, Todd. Give Mr. Hollingsworth all the ammunition he
needs for yanking that license. Amateur radio needs more guys like you.
No more "idle dribble"!

And with you and the ARRL by his side Free Speech will be supressed.

Suppressed? I don't think so. Controlled? Yes. What is it that you
don't feel you can do on the air as a ham, Todd? Is it that you can't
use potty language, or that you can't make money or that you can't play
music?

I'm a strong believer in free speech and I believe there are
problems in amateur radio and feel my voice needs to be heard.

So why are you broadcasting on a dead band?

I'm "broadcasting" on a dead band so not to cause harmful interference.

Your pilot light seems a little dim, Todd.

Dave K8MN