Old August 19th 04, 11:49 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
It was a response to your comment in email about how I believe
impededance bumps don't exist, something which I never said or even
implied.

It was a comment you made in a posted reply to Lancer. I have never said
"they don't work at UHF", those are your words not mine. They are NOT
RECOMMENDED for use at UHF because of the impedance bump they cause in the
transmission line. The higher the frequency the worse the problem gets. The
only connector that looks like the UHF is the "Mini-UHF" which IS a constant
impedance connector. In fact Amphenol states they should be good up to 2.5
GHz.

Link for spec's for UHF connectors, pay attention to the impedance and
recommended frequency application range.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/uhf.asp

Now compare that with the spec's for the "Mini-UHF" connector.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/miniuhf.asp

Then for comparative purposes with the "N" connector.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/typen.asp

Amphenol would not be manufacturing the last two connectors if the UHF
connector was as good as you implied. For those who think a quick and simple
SWR test proves the suitability of the connectors should read the link below
which does a good job explaining how a so-called SWR reading, or using
forward and reflected power reading, can lead you down the garden path if
the test isn't done right.

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_swr_name/

--
Leland C. Scott