Old April 19th 04, 12:28 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:34:39 GMT, zeno wrote:

This goes back to my original question, should I use rope or wire for the
guys on these masts. If I use the dacron rope I would use pulleys so i can
later change out the rope if need be without taking down the masts.

Hi Bill,

Still a very good question. As I put pulleys up many trees (pulleys
at the bottom to for a continuous loop, flag pole style), your point
is well taken.

My
concern with using wire as guys (as was usually done with old tv masts on
roofs) was that all these lengths of wire in the proximity might in some way
adversely effect my 160m loop.

For a loop, it depends on how you drive it and if it is square. This
is the story of the origin of the quad in Quito Ecuador at HCJB. If
you corner feed it, then each corner exhibits hi-tension and becomes a
source for corona. If you center feed it, you rotate those hi-tension
points into the centers of the other sides. Less sharp bend, less
corona prospects.

I would imagine wire supports in the vicinity of a corona bend would
spell trouble.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC