Old August 29th 04, 04:34 PM
Lancer

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:20:38 -0400, "Leland C. Scott"
wrote:

I didn't use any OS calls at all. The only BIOS functions I used were direct
calls to read/write absolute disk sectors. Everything else I had to write
from scratch. As simple as the DOS file system was there was still a lot to
handle. What made thing more interesting was all I had to work with was a
Windows 98 machine. That made thing more complicated because Windows always
wanted to create long file names which messed things up a bit when you
format a disk. I had to put extra routines in to the code to filter that
crap out so when the disk was defragmented I had wiped all the Windows file
system extensions out, thus generating a valid DOS disk.

Windows 98 runs on a DOS kernel, so all windows 98 systems run on a
"valid" DOS disk. Edit your msdos.sys and turn your GUI off. Or just
make yourself a boot disk and format the drive.