Old April 19th 04, 04:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Cathy James wrote:
Greetings all,

I am planning to move to the western suburbs of Minneapolis soon, and
would like to know if there are any communities that I should
specifically "look at" or "avoid" due to restrictions on ham radio
antennas or other issues.

Even apart from ham radio issues, I prefer rural to urban, but commute
time to the areas on the west side of downtown is an issue preventing
me from being too far out. Mound is probably the western limit of
what I am willing to consider.

Right now I am looking at Mound, Champlin, and Maple Grove. My
realtor is generally helpful, but amateur radio is a mystery to her
and I do not think she is used to getting such requests.

She should understand covenants. Have her look into that. Other than
that, there can be township restrictions on antenna towers. Those
usually don't prohibit them, but put limits on height. And you can often
get allowances or exceptions.

Your requests are reasonable and to be expected. Other people make
requests to find out if dogs are allowed in the neighborhood, etc, so
the realtor needs to do their job. You are paying them a lot of money
when you buy your house, so if they can't seem to find covenant and
zoning laws, you might want to mention about finding a realtor that can.

Remember - Mr or Ms Realtor is NOT your friend.

- Mike KB3EIA -