Old April 20th 04, 07:32 AM
zeno

How close do the spacers need to be placed in reality?

http://www.w7fg.com/ant.htm

How close do these spacers appear to be.

Bill

zeno wrote:

I tried practicing making some diy ladder line with a couple of
spacers and a variety of wi stranded #12, and solid #12, and
then solid #14 (all insulated).

I think I am going to pass on this process. The only way I can see
this homebrew ladder line holding its shape (spacing configuration)
is to keep it under quite a bit of tension, a situation which may
not actually be appropriate to my specific installation parameters
here.

I am now thinking: how bad could those commercially manufactured
window lines be?

Any recommendations on a specific type of commercially made window
(ladder) line? I see that it comes in a variety of configurations
and slight differences in Z.

This feed line will be for a full wave 160m loop.

I am not all that convinced that the effects of weather on this
commercially available balanced line would be that much more
negative than what it would be with any homebrew line I could
construct.

I am under the impression that homebrewed ladder line should strive
to have as few spacers as possible, eg. 3' for straight runs, 1-2'
for curves. Using these guidelines it seems like what I would come
up with would not maintain a precise spacing and the temptation
would be to use a spacer at every foot. Wouldn't it be undesireable
to use so many spacers?

Somebody out there must like commercial window ladder line?

Bill

'Doc wrote:

Larry,
Boy, are you gonna have fun! As Cecil said, spacing isn't
all that critical. Use whatever you can find enough of, to make
the 'spreaders', as long as it's not conductive it should work.
The simplest way to feed ladder line through a window is to
make a 'spacer' board to fit in the window. Drill a couple of
holes in the board, the correct distance apart, feed the line
through the holes, 'hot glue' in place (or however you can get
it to stay put. Have to remove the screen...
'Doc

PS - The real 'trick' is to keep the line from 'swarming' on
you when you finish.