Old April 20th 04, 05:48 PM
Mark Keith

zeno wrote in message ...
When transmitting what effect does moisture and/or
precipitation have on various kinds of antennas, also what is
the effect of rain on say uninsulated ladder line.

I'm sure it could vary to freq being used, but overall, very little.
Rain will not have much effect on ladder line, unless there is a way
for water to bridge the gap between wires. You will see increased loss
with twin leads, but very little with ladder line that has mostly air
between the wires.

What is the general effect of moisture on antennas and feed
lines as power is increased?

Well, again could vary, but overall not a whole lot in general. With
my coax fed dipoles, it doesn't matter if it's raining or not up to
1500w. There is no difference in performance. I could see water maybe
having more of an effect on say real high freq antennas. UHF, etc..
HF, there is little difference unless you have a problem caused by
water. IE: waterlogged coax, twin lead that is wet, etc. MK