Old April 20th 04, 07:53 PM
JLB

Precipitation in general, and snow in particular, can have another effect on
the antenna. And that is static buildup. You can get static voltages large
enough to damage sensitive semiconductors, such as MOS transistors. It is
usually recommended that you have the antenna either DC grounded or have
some type of sparc gap for the static to jump across. Of course, your
antennas should be grounded when not in use but not everyone does this.

In the winter, don't forget, you can get ice buildup on your antenna and
feedline

From personal experience---I was a memebe of the radio club at Ohio State
(W8LT) many years ago when they were located in the OSU stadium. We had a
genuine long wire run from the stadium over to a smoke stack on the power
plant it was a few hundred feet long. In the winter when ever we had a dry
snow there would be quite a static build up. There was a sparc gap inside
the antenna tuner, and you could hear it going snap snap snap as the charge
would build up and then arc over. I certainly wouldn't want to get my
fingers across the thing under those conditions.

--
Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net

"zeno" wrote in message ...
When transmitting what effect does moisture and/or
precipitation have on various kinds of antennas, also what is
the effect of rain on say uninsulated ladder line.

What is the general effect of moisture on antennas and feed
lines as power is increased?

Bill