Old April 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Ralph Mowery

You can use any material that will conduct . The main thing to look at is
will it stand up and be mechanically sound. While you could use 1/4 inch
copper rod, if it is more than about 6 inches long it would bend out of
shape with a small ammount of wind.

"Jeremy Becnel" wrote in message
Guys and gals,

I'm working on assembling a groundplane antenna for my truck and am
wondering what materials to use. I know copper is likely the best, but
since I've got 1/8th inch steel rods laying around, I was wondering if I
could use those for the ground radials? I'm using the whip off an old
magmount for the transmitting element, but that's all of that material I
have handy. I'm not terribly concerned with the rust as I plan on

painting
the whole assembly anyway.

I'm sure I can get some aluminum rod or brass/bronze rod at a local

welding
shop if they would be better materials, rf wise.

Jeremy Becnel
KC5TEK