Old April 21st 04, 09:47 PM
zeno

Hi Richard,

Above 80M it should be gangbusters. However, you may wish to look
into Rhombic designs given the vast footprint available to you to
experiment with. This will be more directional, more gain for the 30M
bands and above, so you will want to investigate what direction that
should be (don't guess using a flat map either). It would be roughly
the same shape, only more diamond than haphazard square. Such a
design shouldn't hurt your 160M loop prospects, but would optimize the
higher bands (where formerly you were just going to take what came
with the turf).

Although I have the acres (7) there are a lot of buildings (old barns etc.),
trees, etc. My antenna planning has to dodge many many obstacles actually. This
is an old chicken ranch and there are building everywhere, then all the trees.
Are you saying that a rhombic could be put up on the same masts more or less
(only one of the masts is potentially moveable, meaning that it would only be
diamond like at one end of the trapezoid. This rhombic would be instead of the
540' loop?

I will look up rhombic in the books and see what gives.

With a lot more wire (and work), you could get into the Fish Bone
Array, or a wire Log Periodic Array. Both would, again, be fixed

I will look these up as well. I don't want to get so complex and over my head
that I will be overwhelmed. Now that I have the call sign of choice, I am ready
to rock and roll.....

-Bill (aka Zeno)

Hey I got it!!! I am now K6TAJ, Tango Alpha Juliet. The old bongo drummer morse
code tapper in me is tickled DAH, DI-DAH, DI-DAH-DAH-DAH is so cool for me for
a variety of esoteric reasons, aside from the fact that it is fun to tap out.
My second choice was my 1953 call K6CCG (also fun to tap, but not as fun as
TAJ, the new call is shorter as well), also I like tango alpha juliet more than
charlie charlie golf.....I don't really own any checkered pants.....

I actually found myself listed in an old 1958 call book, which actually was the
year my old Tech ran out.....

Hopefully I can make up for lost time......

73

Bill, K6TAJ