Old April 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
Tuuk

I have the exact antenna described on Idea # 3 ,, I have it on a magnetic
mount, I use it for a bicycle, I have it magnetically mounted on a plate of
steel on the back. I use it for 2m and 70cm, 2m SWR is flat and 70 SWR is
very low, but I also use 156 megs a lot also. I was able to obtain a very
low SWR on all three by folding metal tape in half like a flag at the bottom
of the whip, about 2 inches up. 2 inch tape, tin foil tape for duct work
(not duct tape) it is aluminum foil but about 6 mil and very tacky. I cut it
to achieve a low SWR (about 6 inches length). So its like a metal flag, 2
inch by 6 inch length. Without it, I had very high SWR on the marine band.

"JLB" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Idea 1, would probably not work much at 446 as current would have a hard
time to flow into attached insulated wire. general problem with most

mobile
antennas is getting enough RF current to flow out into them.

There are two ways that Idea 1 can be thought of:

A. The extra wire is a half wave dipole coupled to the 2 meter quarter
wave. By some magic, it resonates and radiates on 446 MHz as a half wave
dipole.

B. A shorted quarter wave transmission line is an open circuit. So is a
half wave open circuit transmission line. The extra wire next to the 2
meter quarter wave acts like an open half wave transmission line,
effectively isolating the upper part of the 2 meter quarter wave when
operating on 446. When the wire is positioned properly, the bottom part

of
the 2 meter quarter wave will act like a 446 quarter wave.

Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net