Old October 11th 04, 02:13 PM
Chad Wahls

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:02:21 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
. ..

snip
Audio repair, eh? Did you learn about Peavey's dual-diode bias scheme
the easy way or the hard way?

I was head tech at a Peavey service center, I learned it the easy way.
(thanks Max H.) Ever taken apart a 1200D powered mixer? One of my peavey
peves Ranks up there with a root canal. I never want to see another
one
of those XLR jacks again

Never touched one, but I've never seen a mixer that wasn't a pain to
disassemble. On that subject, the old rack-mount Carver's get my vote
as the biggest hardware headache. Whoever designed the layout in those
things was either a super-genius or an LSD freak.

Agreed on the Carver!!! Every time I open one I think "wow, does it HAVE to
be this hard?" I have a PM350 at home on the bench now, make that two

I was also the undisputed king of the DPC line of amps because we serviced
nation wide DJ service that had hundreds of them. I can do those with my
eyes closed, If you ever need a hand on those I know most all of the
"tricks". They can be intimidating at first but there's ways to make them
easy. Those IGBT's are quite expensive!

I heard they had problems with self-oscillation. Is that just a rumor?

Nope not a rumor. After time and abuse the filter networks on the ass end
of the output section age. You can dial it back in with the tuning
inductors, but if it has been run really hard then replacing the section is
best, it's cheaper than a rebuild down the road when it finally takes off.
Ironically you can tune it with a scope and an old tube AM radio, yes folks
an AM radio! You watch the scope till you get the junk out of the outputs
then liastn to the radio, when you can hear your talk radio again then it's
tuned, crude but amazingly effective.

Mackie is a headache with screws, Kurtzweil is the worst, yadada yadada.
could talk shop and stupid musicians for days. Maybe I should attend the
picnic.

Mackie sucks. But Behringer kicks ass inside and out! The only thing
I've -ever- had to do to a Behringer was replace the occasional busted
or missing knob.

I've been inside the occasional Behringer to repair cold solder etc in the
old daze, they had notorious QC problems, but in the past few years they
have come leaps and bounds. I still have to turn them away due to
difficulty obtaining parts. I recently bought a couple of their DI boxes
and you can't beat them for twice the price. I'm seriously looking into
their DSP2496 system controllers right now.

Chad