Old October 12th 04, 12:42 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:13:19 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .

snip
I heard they had problems with self-oscillation. Is that just a rumor?

Nope not a rumor. After time and abuse the filter networks on the ass end
of the output section age. You can dial it back in with the tuning
inductors, but if it has been run really hard then replacing the section is
best, it's cheaper than a rebuild down the road when it finally takes off.
Ironically you can tune it with a scope and an old tube AM radio, yes folks
an AM radio! You watch the scope till you get the junk out of the outputs
then liastn to the radio, when you can hear your talk radio again then it's
tuned, crude but amazingly effective.

Holy crap..... I saved this post in case I ever have to work on one!

Mackie is a headache with screws, Kurtzweil is the worst, yadada yadada.
could talk shop and stupid musicians for days. Maybe I should attend the
picnic.

Mackie sucks. But Behringer kicks ass inside and out! The only thing
I've -ever- had to do to a Behringer was replace the occasional busted
or missing knob.

I've been inside the occasional Behringer to repair cold solder etc in the
old daze, they had notorious QC problems, but in the past few years they
have come leaps and bounds. I still have to turn them away due to
difficulty obtaining parts. I recently bought a couple of their DI boxes
and you can't beat them for twice the price. I'm seriously looking into
their DSP2496 system controllers right now.

I have a friend that runs some Behringer stuff in his band. He uses a
lot of sequences, too. I'll give him a call and ask exactly what he
runs and what he recommends.