Old April 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Richard Harrison

Robert Kole provided a link to a G5RV antenna attachment from
astrosurf.com. I enjoyed reading the attachment but I believe it
questionable when it says:

"---erect the antenna at an average height of about 10.35m (34 ft),
which happens to be the optimum efficiency on 160, 80 and 40m bands for
any horizontal type antenna"

"In practice few amateurs install masts of the optimum height on 80 or
40m, and certainly not on 160 meters."

I agree that often amateurs are limited to low mast heights, but not
being able to reach the heights needed (1/2-wave which eliminates energy
waste directly overhead) doesn`t make a lowered antenna optimum, just
feasible.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI