Old April 24th 04, 01:33 AM
K9SQG

Well, all I can do is relate my experiences, which don't totally agree with
theory.

The spacing between the wires entering the home is not critical. I have two
feedthroughs for my open wire line, 450 ohm, where the spacing goes out to
about 8" for 3 feet. I could measure NO change in the SWR as a result of that
spacing for that distance on my SWR meters (Drake W4, Autek WM-1, and Nye
Viking MBVA).

Further, in a previous location, I noticed no change in SWR when the ladder
line was laid on top of a flourescent light fixture for 2 feet.

In general, it is best to cut off that excess feedline, but, in some cases
adding a little back in can help with problem SWRs on some bands. With a
reasonable antenna tuner (Johnson Matchbox, double balanced tuner, link coupled
tuner, etc. ) you should still be able to tune it in most cases.

Finally, I've made 90 deg , sharp bends with the ladder line and could detect
no change in SWR.

I always listen to theory, wives tales, but give some credibility to acutal
measurements as well.

73s,

Evan