Old October 27th 04, 11:46 PM
Steveo

"OH YEAH" wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
om...
Hey, has anyone who was into CB or walkie talkies back in the mid
1960's ever heard of rumors that an FCC operative who went by a code
name of "The Colonel" was in the midwest, looking for people who
operated on the illegal basement channels (to be specific, 20 below
channel 1)?

I think that all of us had fears (even paranoia) about the FCC back
then, and we made sure we had our licenses, and obeyed the rules while
on the CB. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by chatter back then over
this so called "Colonel", and wonder if anyone out here heard the same
rumors (or knows anything factual)? Thanks

-Stephen

Don't know about the Colonel, but here it was "Uncle Charley" and they
DID nab a few people for running power. Not once but a few times.
They fined the operators and confiscated all equipment.

Yep, -Charley- was the handle we used for them in Ohio too, back in
the CB boom era. IIRC we were always looking for vans that looked like
pin cushions. lol

I can recall searching for someone to talk to on CB in the late 60's to
early 70's. Had my tube'r Lafayette and a droopy drawers on the chimney,
that my dad was nice enough to install for me.

Those were simpler times, but a little Mayberry never hurt anyone.