Old April 26th 04, 04:25 AM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:37:53 -0400, "Jack Painter"
wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"zeno" wrote in message

Seems like everyone I talk to about using ladder line to my
proposed 540' horizontal skywire loop does a double take when
I say I want to use ladder line into the shack. I was curious
if there are any fans of ladderline feed systems who can
relate positive experiences, or am I about to really court
disaster here.

The ARRL antenna book says that coax to this type of antenna
is not as "multiband" friendly as was once fantasized....they
recommend ladder line.

Anyone actually have such a loop? What is your experience?

Bill, K6TAJ

I use 450 ohm ladder line on two seperate antennas here. One is a full
sized 40 meter loop, in right triangle configuration, vertical. I run

the
line straight into the shack and into a EF Johnson Matchbox. Works all
bands 40 thr 10 just fine. I run 600 watts into it, and no problems. No
TVI, No computer faults, no telephone problems.

On the other antenna I have a 140 CF doublet with 450 Ladder Line feed.
This into a Heathkit SA-2040 tuner. Same same as above.

The reason I am able to run the LL into the shack is that I have a large

out
building that I have the shack in. Run it right through, not a problem.

Just keep the line away from conductive objects and I run it up to my
ceiling then out.

Dan/W4NTI

slightly off topic....

Hi Dan,

What kind of lightning protection do you employ for straight ladderline?
What are the options (besides tossing it out the window) - if you aren't
using any? I don't run any feeds through my windows, so I wondered what
options that left for ladderline, etc.

I've found the easiest thing is to insert banana jacks/plugs in the
ladderline just outside the window. When the clouds come, I simply
unplug.

The Wireman sells a balanced-line lightning arrester built around a
couple of spark plugs, but I'm not sure how well it works.

Bob
k5qwg

Thanks

Jack