Old November 9th 04, 05:53 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:26:25 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
snip
If you are getting that much interference in a radio dead-zone then it
isn't much of a radio dead-zone, is it? And if the other end of your
comm can't seperate your fundamental from all the QRM then just how
'remote' is this place? Doesn't seem that remote to me. It sounds like
you are just making excuses.

Your more than welcome to go fishing, hunting, 4 wheeling with me and
bring
your cell. It might be usefull for telling time but useless to talk on in
some places that I frequent. You obviously live in an area with great cell
coverage. I do not. You are looking for excuses to argue.

On the contrary, it is -you- that is making excuses to run illegally.
If you are in a radio dead-zone then how does your signal get out at
all? It won't.

I live in Spokane, WA. I have worked with a couple logging companies
in both the Cascades and Rockies (which is why I mentioned those two
mountain ranges previously). You can bet that there are places where
comm sucks. There are large areas where there is no cell phone
coverage, at least not officially. But at those altitudes, all you
need to do is climb up to a peak with a 3-watt phone and you can
easily hit a cell tower 50 miles away. If you don't believe me, take
note of a recent incident on Mt. Rainier where a climber was rescued
after contacting a hunter 40 miles away with his FRS.

And if you are in a canyon or deep valley, it doesn't matter how much
power you run, there's nothing you can do on radio unless you have VLF
or satellite.

Well Frank, you know I off road a lot, and there are times
where both Ham & cb freqs will work, with a little extra help
and cells don't work worth the powder to blow them up.

I found that digital phones are far more fussy than their old analog
predecessors. And some services just plain suck for coverage.

I was at a Bronco event in Ariz, we were between canyon walls,
doing some serious rock crawling, one rig was trying to traverse the 6.5"
rock wall. Well he broke his spring perch, nobody had a portable
welder on them. Got on the radio, his rig was stock, another person
had a rig with a 100 watts, fired it up, got a hold a someone a couple
miles away.

Well now you have been reading this group long enough to know that
there could be a multitude of reasons why that is. I might be inclined
to believe that terrain was a factor if I knew that the stock radio
was working properly and had a good..... hold the phone: he busted his
suspension on a 6.5" rock wall? What were these rigs -- RC cars?

He wheeled in and welded up the spring perch. We
could've hiked up to a point and got a cell signal, but back at the
camp, cell signals were non existent, so the radio came to work
better.
Now I too am also fast becoming a believer in sat phones,
almost anywhere you can get a signal, just like the sat radio (XM)
which I subscribed too now.

I don't have much interest in XM -- takes the fun out of long trips. I
actually enjoy fiddling with the radio, finding local stations and
hearing what's going on in the town I'm passing through. But I'm
rapidly losing interest in that, too, now that most of the stations
are controlled by the broadcast monopolies and sound pretty much the
same.

Just curious, can you get AM local advisory stations with an XM radio?