Old November 21st 04, 02:03 PM
Frank Gilliland

On 21 Nov 2004 05:15:32 -0800, (Karl Bakker)
wrote in :

Howdy! I've seen CB radios that have SSB as well. However, I don't
understand this very well. That is, what exactly can you do with SSB?
How far does it reach out? What kind of license do you need to use it?
What kind of range do you get with a mobile unit? A base unit? I know
these are a lot of questions; however, I would appreciate your views
and information. Always, Karl

SSB is a type of modulation, like AM and FM. Most CB radios use AM
only.

SSB uses half the bandwidth, so you can cram two SSB 'channels' into
the space of one AM channel. Those SSB channels actually use the same
channel frequency as the AM channels but are divided between the upper
and lower half of the channel, or USB and LSB (Upper Sideband and
Lower SideBand).

One advantage of SSB is that it receives half as much noise as AM
because it uses only half the bandwidth.

Another advantage is that you have more effective power with SSB. Watt
for watt, SSB has about 9 times the power of AM.

SSB radios are more expensive, but you don't have to change the
antenna or anything else. You -do- have to use one more knob, the
'clarifier', which makes voices sound normal instead of like ducks.

Range for any mode depends mostly on your antenna and your terrain,
but with any given antenna the range using SSB will usually be several
times greater than using AM.

Legal power for CB radio is limited to 4 watts AM or 12 watts SSB. You
don't need a license for CB regardless of whether you use AM or SSB.

Hope that helps.