Old November 24th 04, 03:30 AM
Frank Gilliland

On 24 Nov 2004 02:58:26 GMT, Steveo
wrote in :

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On 24 Nov 2004 00:39:28 GMT, Steveo
wrote in :

jrd wrote:
only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...501&item=57332
179 25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?

I have a few in the scrap heap (bad mods). I even have a JC Penney SSB
model and an identical SSB Roadtalker. I tried to get one of them
working with parts from both. Turns out the VCO isn't designed to
cover bandwidth much larger than the CB (which is probably why the
mods didn't work), and barely worked at all after being 'tweaked' by
whatever moron did the mods.

It's a real shame to see decent radios destroyed by twits who can't be
satisfied with 40 channels.

Yep, I had one years ago and the audio was sweet on SSB.

That was due to their crystal filters, probably the best ever used on
a production CB -- damn fine coffee!!!

It would be
nice to find one that hasn't been screw-drivered yet.

It would be nice to find -any- vintage SSB rig that hasn't been
ruined.

My friend had the JC model and that was tall cotton back then.

The subject got me thinking about it so I looked in the pile a few
minutes ago. I didn't find the SSB rig, but I -did- find a JC Penney
"scanning" CB..... hmmmm, I gotta take that to the shop tomorrow and
check it out.