Old November 24th 04, 10:37 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Twistedhed" wrote in message
Large corporations pay fines opposed to having their folks go to jail.
The obvious exceptions were the Michael Milkens.

You forgot about the savings and loan scandals, the Enron executives going
to jail, Martha Stewart etc.

That's not how it works with franchises. Franchises are required to
carry certain items.

But not all items. How many time have you heard, but never really paid
attention to, the statement at the end of commercials etc. that states "At
participating stores"? Just because it is a franchise doesn't automatically
mean they carry everything a company own store does. In fact I've been in
many Pilot Travel centers and I specifically check the two-way radio section
out just for fun. Funny how some of them you don't see even one of those
import radios the FCC has fined Pilot over.

The fines are paid and its business as usual.
These companies usually don't fight these fines. In fact, there is no
large corporation has lodged such a court room battle (which you speak
of concerning radio gear, amps, etc) for the exact reason you
mention...it is much easier tand cheaper to pay the fine and
continue,,,,,business-as-usual.

After they remove the offending product. Look how skittish the TV stations
are after the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction". It was only a $550K fine
to the network. I'm sure it didn't dent their bank account very much. It
wasn't much bigger than the fine that Pilot got. The networks are running
scared about what they show on the air to the point where some local
stations wouldn't air the uncut movie "Saving Private Ryan" for veterans day
because they were afraid they would get slapped with another fine.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network