Old April 28th 04, 04:00 AM
zeno

Tnx to all for your thoughts. I think I am ready to go. My intuition and
gathered knowledge from this process here seems to have inspired, finally,
some confident action. I will let you know what the results are. Now with
the good weather it is time for the work.

73 Bill K6TAJ

Stephen Cowell wrote:

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:25:49 GMT, zeno wrote:

2. How should I be conceptualizing the type of RF energy in
these lines? I assume that these wires will carry something
more like "high voltage" than the usual type of electrical
energy in domestic AC lines. How far away should these ladder
line wires actually be away from everything as they go
through the wall?

Far enough. Flash-over, arcing, and such all derive from the geometry
of the gap, barometric pressure, humidity, and such. However, just
dredge up a common circumstance of the ordinary Spark Plug and observe
the several KV it takes to leap maybe an inch?

Ouch, Richard, that's a pretty wild shot from the hip. Spark plugs
use gaps on the order of hundredths of an inch and voltages
on the order of dozens of KV.

And for Zeno, just bring the tube out to the surface of
the wall, don't extend it... you don't want those things
breaking off!
__
Steve
KI5YG