Old December 9th 04, 04:50 AM
Landshark

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
It's all pretty clear cut Lanshark. You don't pay the NAL and challenge it
in district court, or pay it, then go the appeal court route. If you read
the whole quoted section that's what the court says, in legal speak, near
the end.

Anyway the original point made by several people was you can't challenge a
NAL in court. I think that myth has been dispelled. You raised another
issue, is it really worth the cost? You might have a point there. I guess
it
all depends on the about of the NAL. a couple of grand maybe not, but for
$10K yeah I think it would if one feels confident they have a strong case.

On a side point who were you replying to in regards to a post about a
radio
and refering to them using my name? I never mentioned anything about a
radio, just a comment about you getting a NAL for first hand experience. I
think you got me confused with somebody else.

--
Leland C. Scott

when a hearing is being held for some

reason other than the assessment of a

forfeiture (such as, to determine

whether a renewal application should

be granted) and a forfeiture is to be

considered as an alternative or in addition

to any other Commission action.

However, these procedures may be followed

whenever the Commission, in its

discretion, determines that they will

better serve the ends of justice.

Now take a look here

(1) Before imposing a forfeiture penalty

under the provisions of this paragraph,

the Commission will issue a notice

of opportunity for hearing. The

hearing will be a full evidentiary hearing

before an administrative law judge,

conducted under procedures set out in

subpart B of this part, including procedures

for appeal and review of initial

decisions. A final Commission order assessing

a forfeiture under the provisions

of this paragraph is subject to judicial

review under section 402(a) of the

Communications Act.

Notice it doesn't say a court, it says an "administrative law judge"

Before the commission.

(2) If, after a forfeiture penalty is imposed

and not appealed or after a court

enters final judgment in favor of the

Commission, the forfeiture is not paid,

the Commission will refer the matter

to the Department of Justice for collection.

In an action to recover the forfeiture,

the validity and appropriateness

of the order imposing the forfeiture

are not subject to review.

Notice the turn it over to the DOJ & Treasury dept, try

to tell them I'm going to appeal it to a court of law.

(3) Where the possible assessment of

a forfeiture is an issue in a hearing

case to determine which pending application

should be granted, and the applicant

facing a potential forfeiture is

dismissed pursuant to a settlement

agreement or otherwise, and the presiding

judge has not made a determination

on the forfeiture issue, the order

of dismissal shall be forwarded to the

attention of the full Commission.

Within the time provided by § 1.117, the

Commission may, on its own motion,

proceed with a determination of whether

a forfeiture against the dismissing

applicant is warranted. If the Commission

so proceeds, it will provide the applicant

with a reasonable opportunity

to respond to the forfeiture issue (see

paragraph (f)(3) of this section) and

make a determination under the procedures

outlined in paragraph (f) of this

section.

(h) Payment. The forfeiture should be

paid by check or money order drawn to

the order of the Federal Communications

Commission. The Commission

does not accept responsibility for cash

payments sent through the mails. The

check or money order should be mailed

to: Federal Communications Commission,

P.O. Box 73482, Chicago, Illinois

60673-7482.

(i) Remission and mitigation. In its discretion,

the Commission, or its designee,

may remit or reduce any forfeiture

imposed under this section.

After issuance of a forfeiture order,

any request that it do so shall be

submittedas a petition for reconsideration

pursuant to § 1.106.

(j) Effective date. Amendments to

paragraph (b) of this section implementing

Pub. L. No. 101-239 are effective

December 19, 1989.

[43 FR 49308, Oct. 23, 1978, as amended at 48

FR 15631, Apr. 12, 1983; 50 FR 40855, Oct. 7,

1985; 55 FR 25605, June 22, 1990; 56 FR 25638,

June 5, 1991; 57 FR 23161, June 2, 1992; 57 FR

47006, Oct. 14, 1992; 57 FR 48333, Oct. 23, 1992;

58 FR 6896, Feb. 3, 1993; 58 FR 27473, May 10,

1993; 62 FR 4918, Feb. 3, 1997; 62 FR 43475, Aug.

14, 1997; 63 FR 26992, May 15, 1998; 65 FR 60868,

Oct. 13, 2000]

§ 1.83 Applications for radio operator

licenses.

(a) Application filing procedures for

amateur radio operator licenses are set

forth in part 97 of this chapter.

(b) Application filing procedures for

commercial radio operator licenses are

set forth in part 13 of this chapter. Detailed

information about application

forms, filing procedures, and where to

file applications for commercial radio

operator licenses is contained in the

bulletin ''Commercial Radio Operator

Licenses and Permits.'' This bulletin is

available from the Commission's

Forms Distribution Center by calling

1-800-418-FORM (3676).

[47 FR 53378, Nov. 26, 1982, as amended at 58

FR 13021, Mar. 9, 1993; 63 FR 68920, Dec. 14,

1998]

§ 1.85 Suspension of operator licenses.

Whenever grounds exist for suspension

of an operator license, as provided