Old April 29th 04, 06:40 PM
Roy Lewallen

More thoughts along the lines of John's comments, 32 kHz is about twice
the frequency of the horizontal line component of TV video. Do you have
any TV transmitters reasonably close by?

I've had problems with detected video on a couple of occasions, getting
into audio circuits. After I redesigned the audio circuits to look more
like VHF/UHF circuits -- laid out, bypassed, and filtered for VHF/UHF --
the problems disappeared. A working hypothesis is that there's a strong
TV transmitter getting into your transmitter via the antenna and/or its
transmission line, then getting detected and modulating your
transmitter. In the case of my audio problems, the vertical scan
component was worse, resulting in a "hum" that varied with the picture
of the offending TV station. You might take a close look at the spurs
and see if they vary with a local station's picture.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

John Smith wrote:
Your spurs sound very strange, too close in 32 kHz, 62KHz, normally they are
further out several MHz if generated by the RF chain. That is like an audio
part/circuit getting into the transmit RF. Try rearranging or twisting up
the power cables to the radio.
If spurs are low, not much power is there, so little damage to radio
rts. -65dBc sounds good for a CB. The farther you look down the more spurs
there. The antenna could be reradiating RF power back onto circuit
components, which could be a cause too.