Old April 30th 04, 03:53 PM
Dave Shrader

I have a Murch 2000A sitting about 12 inches from this location and
right on top of my AL-80B linear amplifier. I run 1200 watts CW though it.

It is a great tuner! Have used it for over 30 years and I WILL NOT
replace it!

But, it is intended for coax or end fed long wires, not for balanced
lines. I have used it with an old B&W air balun to match 600 ohm open
wire feeders.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

zeno wrote:

Anyone have any experience or know anything about the Murch
UT2000B transmatch. I ended up with one of these in a
(retired) lot that I aquired. Says it works 10-160 meters.
Power rating 2KW PEP. Takes coax or balanced line. Seems like
it is pretty good, it has a rolling inductor.

I was advised to use my 250W Johnson Matchbox rather than the
Murch for feeding my balanced line fed loop. I was planning
to eventually use a 4 tube 811A type linear amp (like the
30L-1).

Why would someone advise against the Murch in favor of the
Johnson for the balanced line?

The Murch has 160M, the Johnson no (unless I were to modify
it).

I may have two antenna options, one coax, the other balanced
line, maybe I should use both tuners and add switching. (The
Murch does not have a built in antenna switch, the switch it
has is either "in", "out", Dummy Load, or Grounded.)

Bill K6TAJ